Sunday, April 13, 2008

A poem to share with you

Assalam Alikom!

This is one of my most favorite poems, and I thought I would share it with you.


Walk On By


I
am
standing, staring at my reflection in the mirror

I
close my blue eyes, tie my blonde hair back and breathe in the breeze just sent in
“At least you have a nice face” my grandmother used to say
I choke on old memories as I wrap the soft blue scarf around my head and
smile as I turn out the light.

I
take a deep breath and step outside, return a fake “hello” given by the old man who sits solo, wave and smile at the summer fruit stand man and smile as I walk on by.

walk on by and look away as the vision of me makes eyes stare stupidly

walk on by as they shout “terrorist bitch”, “traitor”, “I don’t like you”

walk on by as young girls and old women cross themselves as I pass

walk on by as someone yells “I love Jesus!” and “Alleluia!”

walk on by as people sigh, roll their eyes and say “Good God!” under their breath

I
stop
walking,
someone smiles, bows and touches his right hand to his heart and says, “may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon you” “and also upon you” I return and smile,

then walk on by.


Note: No writing may be changed without the permission of the author. All rights are reserved with the author. Any work shared by the author can only be used under the event agreed upon by the author. Copyright 2008 Kimberly Joseph

No comments: