Friday, April 4, 2008

Welcome to my new blog!

Bismillah ArRahman ArRaheem

Assalam Alikom!

I would like to begin with giving thanks to Allah swt, for it is Allah who makes all things possible. This blog marks the beginning of a journey that I have been planning to take for a long time. Ever since I took Shahada in 2004 I have had a desire to share my story. I have also always loved to hear the stories of other converts as well. Whenever I have been blessed by Allah swt to be present when someone else takes Shahada I cry from the deepest most purest place within myself.
Every time.
The desire to share my story never went away, it only grew stronger with each passing day. This project, this book, this anthology insha'Allah "Muslim Like Me" is my first step towards making change. The intention I have in creating this book, this space and this community is to create a change in the way our society views Muslims insha'Allah. I would like to show America what Islam is through your stories. I would like each story to tell America what being Muslim means to you. I do not wish to define, limit or categorize Islam or Muslims. That is not my purpose here. I do not claim to be a scholar, on the contrary my knowledge is very little but my belief is deep within who I am and how I live my life. Elhumdulillah. I believe deep within myself that by sharing our conversion stories through poetry, prose, short stories and visual art we can begin.
We can create change one word at a time.
One picture at a time.
I want this book insha'Allah to be a very open and safe space for any of you who wish to contribute. This is your work, your life and I wish for you to share your experiences however you feel comfortable. I look forward to meeting all of you insha'Allah.

Let us begin.

May Allah love and bless you!
Kim

4 comments:

~SteelFelt~ said...

Dear Kim,

walaikum salam.
This is amazing, Kim.
Your journey

~SteelFelt~ said...

Dear Kim,

Walaikum salam.

So nice to see you inspire me as a Musalimah - a sister in Madhab and in this worldly life where we contnuously are challenged for our faith's strength. InshAllah, may we always know which way to go.

Welcome!

Saira

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking the initiative. InshAllah it would be great.

precisiontext said...

As-salamu Alaykum, Kim,
I mentioned your project on my blog for Muslim writers, located at: http://muslimwriters.blogspot.com/