Saturday, April 5, 2008

Some questions to ask yourself when writing insha'Allah

Bismillah ArRahman ArRaheem

Assalam Alikom!

Here are some tips and helpful questions to ask yourself while writing in short story form insha'Allah!

Tips
1. Always try your best to show, show, show! This means instead of just telling your reader what happened, show your reader! Ex of telling: "I had coffee every morning and it was my favorite time of the day". Ex of showing: "Each morning I peeled my eyes open and tore myself away from my bed. I could only do this in eager anticipation of my most cherished part of the day, found in an over sized creamy cafe latte".

2. You can do this using imagery, dialogue, flashbacks etc.

3. You can create mood by using natural resources like weather, seasons, foods, activities like sports and nature (animals).

4. Using analogies will help you show instead of tell insha'Allah. Ex: "We stood facing each other like a couple at an altar, eyes and hands interlocked and oblivious to the world around us".

5. In your writing I want to know how you were feeling, thinking and acting! By showing all of this it will bring your reader into your story insha'Allah.

This should be of some help insha'Allah. I am asking this of you because it will really help the reader to come into your story and experience it for herself/himself. This is what we want! Understanding. Compassion.

Happy Writing insha'Allah!

May Allah bless and love you,
Kim Joseph

No comments: